Today in my fourth and final post in my blog series exploring, The Gut Microbiome and What It Means for Your Health, I’m cutting straight to the chase and sharing How You (yes, you!) Can Support Your Microbiome.
How to Support Your Microbiome
Take Stock of Your Diet
Growing evidence shows that diet directly affects gut health and the good bacteria in your body’s microbiome. Conversely, gut health affects your ability to absorb nutrients, how hormones such as insulin are produced, and how and when fat is stored.
Avoid foods that promote inflammation:
- Refined vegetable oils (canola, corn, soybean)
- Pasteurized dairy products
- Refined carbohydrates and processed grains
- Conventional meat, poultry, eggs
- Added sugars
- Trans fats
Build your diet from foods that promote good bacteria and reduce inflammation.
- Fresh organic vegetables (at least 4 servings a day; more better!)
- Whole organic fruit (especially apples, berries of all kinds, cherries, stone fruit, pomegranate, grapefruit)
- Herbs, spices and teas
- Probiotic-rich foods such as yogurt, kefir, kombucha, sauerkraut, fresh pickles, sauerkraut juice
- Wild-caught fish, cage free eggs and grassfed meat
- Healthy fats, such as grass-fed butter, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, avocadoes, nuts and seeds
- Grains and legumes, specifically black beans, chickpeas, lentils, wild rice, buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa, steel-cut oats
- Small amounts of red wine and dark chocolate/cacao
And there’s more . . .
- Avoid antibiotics whenever possible.
- Exercise more and stress less.
- Consider supplementing with CoQ10, carotenoids, omega-3 fish oil, selenium, and antioxidants to prevent free radicals from damaging microbiota.
ARE YOU READY TO ACHIEVE YOUR WELLNESS GOALS? JOIN ME FOR A WINTER RESET + REVITALIZE. EXPLORE A SUPPORT APPROACH TO NOURISHMENT FOR A RADIANT 2019 – JANUARY 13 – FEBRUARY 3
I hope you’ve enjoyed my blog series designed to help you learn about the gut microbiome and what it has to do with your health. If you are interested in getting support for your own gut health, consider me a resource. Consider visiting my Integrative Chinese Medicine practice where a combine Acupuncture, Chinese Herbs, Massage and Nutrition Consulting to help you achieve your health and wellness goals and consider joining my 21-day Winter 2019 Reset + Revitalize, designed to help you make smart dietary and self-care decisions that support overall health and wellness.