• large onion, chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 cup sweet potato or winter squash, cubed
• 2 carrots, diced
• 1 stalk celery, diced
• ½ fennel bulb, chopped
• 5 cups water or vegetable broth
• 1 bay leaf
• ½ t dried Italian seasoning spices (oregano, rosemary, thyme, basil)
• 1 cup broccoli or cauliflower florets
• 1 cup green beans, 1-inch slices
• ½ cup cooked garbanzo beans
• 2 cups chopped kale or other leafy greens
Add chopped sweet potato or squash, carrot, fennel and celery and saute for 3 minutes.
Cover with approximately 5 cups water or vegetable broth.
Add bay leaf and spices.
Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer. When vegetables are tender, add broccoli or cauliflower, green beans, garbanzo beans and leafy greens.
Cook a few more minutes until all vegetables are tender.
Add sea salt, pepper and lemon juice or flavored vinegar to taste.
If you want a more substantial soup, remove the bay leaf and roughly puree half the soup to give a thicker base.