• 1 cup red lentils
• 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut in cubes
• 3 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
• 1 onion, peeled and cut in quarters
• 3 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 t turmeric powder or fresh grated turmeric
• 1 t cumin powder
• Pinch of chili powder, optional
• 1 1/2 cups water
• 1 15-oz can coconut milk
• ½ inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
• 1 tsp coconut oil
• Fresh cilantro for garnish
Add turmeric and cumin.
Add lentils and the rest of the vegetables and saute for a few minutes before adding water and coconut milk.
Bring just to a boil and then cover and simmer until fully cooked, about 45 minutes.
Add more coconut milk if desired or serve as is with cilantro garnish.