As long as your body can tolerate them, smoothies are a great choice for breakfast or an afternoon pick-me-up. Just be sure they contain a protein, fat, fruit or vegetables and other maybe other extras.
• 1 scoop plant-based protein powder
• 1-2 T healthy fat, such as nut butter, coconut oil or avocado
• ½ cup fruit (fresh or frozen) or vegetable
• ¾-1 cup liquid, such as almond milk, coconut milk, coconut kefir
• extras, such as hemp seeds, flax seeds, cacao, ginger, turmeric cinnamon
• Since brassica family vegetables such as kale are thyroid suppressors when raw, use spinach for a green vegetable in smoothies.
Here are some smoothie ideas from Aviva Romm’s “Adrenal Thyroid Revolution:”
|The Smoothie||Protein||Healthy Fat||Fruit/Vegetable||Liquid||Extras|
|Hot Mama Super Smoothie: hormone-supporting, adrenal-boosting power||1 serving plant-based protein powder
1 T hemp seeds
|1 T coconut oil||½ frozen banana
½ cup frozen black cherries
1 pitted Medjool date
|unsweetened almond milk||1-2 T maca powder
1 T raw cacao powder